Research Experience for Undergraduates Summer Program
Since the summer of 2017, the Center for Bioplastics and Biocomposites (CB²) has established a new Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site designed to provide undergraduate students a chance to participate in industry-directed fundamental research opportunities in the fields of bioplastics and biocomposites. The students gain hands-on experience with synthesis, processing, and characterization of biobased plastics and composite materials all while sharing a well-defined common focus on sustainable bioplastics and biocomposites that enables an educational cohort experience.
Each year, students (recruited primarily from academic institutions where research programs in STEM are limited) work on research projects currently being conducted by CB² sites such as Washington State University, Iowa State University, University of Georgia, and North Dakota State University. During the program, the students participate in a series of bioplastics short courses, have responsibility for an independent research project performed with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, and engage with leading industry experts from the Industrial Advisory Board of the CB².
Application deadline is March 1, 2022.
Program starts on June 1, 2022 and ends on August 4, 2022.
- $5,500 stipend for 9.5 week program
- Paid on-campus housing
- Paid subsistence
- Partial travel support
- US citizens & permanent residents only
- Students who have not graduated prior to Dec. 22
- Major in related STEM fields
- Women and students from underrepresented groups and military backgrounds are strongly encouraged
- Students from academic institutions where research programs in STEM are limited are strongly encouraged to apply